Sunday, April 4, 2010

Clash of the Titans


This film is set in a world of Greek mythology and is a remake of another film of the same name made in the early 80's (if I am wrong please correct me). I found the movie very much worth my ticket.

Basic Plot: "The Clash of the Titans" is set in the Greek city of Argos where a war is about to explode between man and the gods. Perseus (Sam Worthington) raised as a fisherman, but is actually a demi-god. Perseus is the son of Zeus (Liam Neeson) who is about to take on the gods after the death of his family. Zeus' brother Hades (Ralph Fiennes) was the one who kill his family, and Perseus wants to kill him. However, it is Perseus's destiny to rescue the city of Argos from the ruthless rage of Hades and his Kraken monster. With nothing to lose, Perseus leads a band of soldiers on a quest to defeat the Kraken. In doing this, Perseus will prevent Hades from overthrowing Zeus and in turn destroying mankind."

My Thoughts on the Plot: I found the basic idea interesting. What if Greek gods were real? What if man rebelled against them? It was a good idea from a strictly story standpoint, especially when you get into the details. The writing at the beginning was very well done, quite a bit of intrigue and mystery. Another point worth mentioning is that the story seemed to move very quickly. At the beginning, I just assumed this was because it was trying to move quickly into the action. But as the movie progressed it became clear they were trying to include bits from the old movie and add new things as well (I've never seen the original so I wouldn't know. That's just the feeling I got from it). Also, every so often the dialogue turned into dumping sessions on occasion and cheesy remarks. But overall the screen writing and plot was good.

Characters: I loved the main character, Perseus. He was witty, intelligent, good with a sword, and just overall very interesting. But he was really the only strong character in the story. The romantic relationship of the movie didn't make too much sense either. I understood the characters' goal and the reasons behind it, but I didn't agree with their motives or their purpose. While many characters carried intrigue, it was very plot driven and had little character.

Blocking/Camera Play/Acting: I thought this was very well done. The fighting sequences were very good, the camera play was cool, and even in the slower sections the way people moved was neat. I didn't notice any bad acting, exempting a very minor character at the beginning and he wasn't terrible.

Costumes: The main characters and people of earth had good costumes. But the gods were dressed like British knights, which didn't make much sense to me. Liam Neeson, as Zeus, kinda looked funny with his hair too ;) lol
Graphics: Amazing. 'nough said. Well sorta, the writers created a few creatures that were very interesting. And the mythological beings were very well created. All in all, it looked better than real.

Theme/Moral: There really wasn't one. That was the most disappointing thing about the movie. If there was a moral, it was that everyone is selfish and the only way to escape tyranny is to be more selfish. It seemed to have an anti-authority message...I don't know. I'm trying to force a message out of the story. But I honestly walked away with no deeper meaning.

Conclusion: Despite the review, I really liked the movie. Definitely worth going to see, and I'd buy it on DVD. It was very plot driven, but the plot was interesting. And the graphics and fighting sequences were very cool as well. If you're looking for an emotional story, I wouldn't look here. I didn't feel any emotion though I could tell the writers were trying to. I understood the characters, they were real, but I didn't agree with them and I wouldn't feel bad if they all died.

Go see the movie. You'll enjoy it.

Oh! And apparently there was something about an owl statue or the like in the old movie. They discarded the owl as a joke in this movie.

So yeah, you'll like the movie. But don't expect to be amazed.

2 comments:

Brenna Dixon said...

O_O That sounds like an awesome movie! Why did I not hear of it?? (wasn't Sam Worthington in Avatar? He was really great.) Maybe I'll rent it when I'm in town when in comes out... :)

Nathan R. Petrie said...

It was a good movie :D And yeah, Sam Worthington was in Avatar. I really liked him haha

It'd be worth renting I think :) Hope you enjoy it!